Goal 1: All Children Graduate from High School Equipped to Follow Their Passions
- Create training facilities, programs, and communication channels that enable face-to-face connections between schools and parents.
- Develop mentorship and learning environments that connect young people with other community members (from churches, Danville Community College, and retired educators, etc.).
- Create specific spaces and programs that are designated as good learning environments.
Goal 2: Every Resident is Connected to and / or Involved in a Neighborhood Specific Activity
- Develop peer-to-peer or mentorship programs for parental engagement.
- Identify routine ways to work with city staff to improve safe routes to school and develop a walkable community.
- Develop opportunities for more community connections across all of the Southside neighborhood (e.g., at community centers and other gathering spaces).
- Develop more walkways to places where residents go.
Goal 3: Affordable Housing is Available and Easily Accessible
- Increase access to a housing education resource hub.
- Repurpose vacant spaces.
- Create more public art.
- Create accessible ways for home-ownership information to be shared with and available to residents.
- Increase residents’ access to home ownership, renovation/trade skills, rehabilitation, and advocacy trainings.
- Publicize neighborhood tours so that elected officials can observe conditions, report findings to city council, and present recommendations.
Goal 4: There are Many Diverse, Youth-Oriented Activities
- Increase access to parks and play spaces, develop programs / infrastructure that reflect the desires of Southside youth, and include activities for parents.
- Focus programming for youth (both boys and girls) in ways that reflect their needs and desires (like entrepreneurship, robotics, martial arts, a variety of sports, trade, coding, drama / dance, fashion, food, etc.).
- Develop programs for youth that focus on the neighborhood’s history and cultural grounding.
- Organize neighborhood-based events for children.
Goal 5: There are Established Entrepreneurial Opportunities for Youth
- Create opportunities for businesses and other sectors to connect with Southside youth to enhance networking that could lead to paid work.
- Create workforce preparedness programs with a range of skill opportunities for youth and parents.
- Expose residents and youth to local businesses’ services, discuss the skill sets needed, and create apprenticeships and networking opportunities.